Thursday, June 28, 2012

Why?

I will use this post to answer the "Why?" questions that we have been asked.  We love telling how we got to this point so if you have any questions not adressed here please feel free to ask us!

1.  Why International? 

Great question!  We didn't think this is where we would be today in the world of adoption.  I honestly have no opinion either way and I believe wherever the family believes they should adopt from then go for it.  We have been interested in adoption for the past year and a half and I always thought we would adopt from the U.S. foster care system.  We have never been interested in infant adoption, we were blessed with two precious babies of our own and I know there are families that wait for so long to adopt an infant.  Our two main reasons for foster adoption: 1. There are thousands of children in America without permanent homes 2. Foster adoption is usually free.  For foster care or foster adoption the family is required to take a PS-MAPP course or a DT (Deciding Together) course before starting the home study.  We were unable to take the one PS-MAPP course that was offered in our area in January because it was in a different time zone, hour drive,  and it was on a school night.  They have not offered any other courses within driving distance because we live in rural America and there aren't enough families interested.  We could have taken the DT course in our house but they required two couples take the course together.  We tried for a year and even told the two agencies that cover our area that we would be willing to drive if they had another couple interested.  After a year I called the agency and told them we were unable to find another family.  We felt at that time that God had closed that door for now.  That is when we decided to look at other options.

2. Why Down Syndrome?

In our research of International adoption, our eyes were opened to the plight of special needs orphans in this world.  I started following the story of a beautiful little girl who was nine years old and weighed nine pounds when she was adopted.  Within six months she has completely transformed and she is living proof of what love can do.  You can read her story here.  I also started following another blog by a Mom that has adopted four children with special needs and they are in the process of adopting two more.  This post shocked me to my core and I could no longer ignore the fact that children were suffering!  Stuart and I watched this video and that was it,  we knew God was calling us to step out in faith and go! We could no longer say "no". 

3. Why does it cost so much?

I will do a future post on the breakdown of adoption expenses.  We are not buying a child.  All of the money we will pay goes to agency fees, USCIS (immigration) application, travel expenses, home study, and post-placement services.  Plane tickets to the country we will be traveling to are EXPENSIVE.  Our agency fees are our biggest adoption cost.  They include Registration and Court Dossier, in-country facilitator, translation of all paperwork, court costs, and on and on.

4. Why not have more kids?

Why not give a kid a home that doesn't have one?  (I'm going to answer a question with a question there)


After we decided to adopt Lucy and we had submitted the paperwork to start the process, we both had complete peace.  We knew that we were answering a call that God had placed on our lives.  We have a lot of things we could be worried about right now; I won't lie, we have had some sleepless nights but we know we are walking with God.  There is no better feeling in the world than to walk the path that God has laid out for you.  We know that he is going before us and he is walking with us.

May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us- yes, establish the work of our hands.  Psalm 90:17

Tanna



No comments:

Post a Comment