Friday, October 12, 2012

Saying Goodbye

This day came way too fast.  We are more than ready to go home, we miss our kids, our bed, our food...but we can't imagine going a month or two without this little girl.

Our visit this morning was so much fun.  She is really starting to show us her personality.  I knew the second I saw her and looked in her eyes the first day that she was medicated.  I was just sick.  After today, Stuart said she is so different than the child that was brought to us.  She couldn't hold her head up, she couldn't focus on anything, her movements were jerky.  The top of her scalp was covered with a brown crust, I thought it was cradle cap.  She was so dirty.  The next day, she was more alert and just like magic her scalp was perfectly clear.  They even cleaned behind her ears.  I don't think they knew we were coming.

Well, hello Dad!
 

I had the experience of changing a dirty diaper today.  They took me in the bathroom and turned on the bathtub and handed me a towel.  I was looking around for wipes and the lady kept pointing at the water.  I finally figured out that you just wash her off, no wipes.  No surprise, the water was cold, it didn't even get luke-warm.  (Note to self, bring baby wipes next time).  Poor girl did not like her diaper change but I wrapped her in the small towel and took her back to the room and gave her a good lotion massage, she finally smelled clean!
 
American Food!
 
If you have ever eaten in this particular country you will know how excited we were to eat this for lunch today.  We don't eat at McDonalds but this was, by far, the best food we've had in days!
 
Assumption Cathedral built in 1524
 
We finally toured the Cathedral.  It was absolutely beautiful on the outside and words can't even describe the paintings and art inside.  It was the perfect place to walk around and pray for my sweet girl and all of the other children in the orphanage.  I have had a hard time this week looking at this beautiful city and then driving to a hidden orphanage, but I was reminded today that God is there.  He has watched over her, opened our eyes to her, and provided for us to come for her.  These children have been abandoned by parents and society but not by God.  After returning to the hotel room I grabbed my Bible and opened it up to the perfect verse.  This never happens to me so I was in awe as I read Mark 9:36 - 37,  He took a little child and had him stand among them.  Taking him in his arms, he said to them, "Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me."  We are praying for the parents of all of the children here, that God will stir their hearts and they will take that leap of faith and rescue one of God's children to call their own.
 

Grandma?  Mema? Someone please buy me a cute hat!
 
 
 
 
After four days we can finally touch her hair and face.  At first she would get irritated and push our hands away but today we smothered that girl and she didn't care one bit. 
 
Check out this funny girl!  She had so much fun today and so did we! 
 

 






Last nap on Mama.
 
 
Saying goodbye was so hard.  I knew this but how do you prepare for a moment like that?  We just have to tell ourselves that we are leaving her in God's hands because I can't stand the thought of leaving her where she is.  We are so in love with this precious child, time will not move fast enough before we are back.  Please pray for a quick court date and for Lucy's health.  She had pneumonia twice last year during the fall and winter months.
 
We love you, Lucy!
 
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Tanna & Stuart,

    I can't even begin to tell you how heartwarming this story is. It's almost surreal. I can't even begin to imagine your emotions.

    Each of your blogs since the beginning have brought tears to my eyes. This week truly pulled on my heartstrings. You live a blessed life and Lucy is SO unbelievably lucky to have you in her life.

    She's such a smart, amazing little baby. You can tell that already!! She's never going to remember that place.. All she'll remember is your loving home and her brother & sister, community, friends & neighbors who love her as well.

    I will pray for a speedy court date and her return HOME! Praying for your safe travels back to Kansas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Tanna!
    My heart goes out to you even more than ever before! To see such love in the pictures and to hear such tenderness in your words, it breaks my heart that you have to leave her. But I know you will be back SOON to get her! I am praying for you!

    ReplyDelete